Burmese tofu is of Shan origin, this silky smooth turmeric coloured tofu is made from water and ground split pea flour (Gram flour), salt and turmeric. It can be fried, baked, used raw in salads and absorbs flavour well.
- 200 grams of chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 400 ml water
- 500 ml water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix the flour, salt, turmeric and 400 ml water into a smooth paste.
- Heat 500 ml of water until bubbles are forming, turn down to a medium to low heat.
- Add the flour mixture to the hot water, beating all the time.
- Beat for 5-15 minutes, the mixture will form a thick paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a 10inch square greased container and leave to cool
- When cool refrigerate for at least 1 hour, the longer you leave it the more water will drain out making the tofu firmer.