Anthriscus sylvestris is a beautiful, delicate short lived herbaceous perennial/biennial and is related to parsley, carrot, hemlock and hogweed, all of which are members of the carrot family (Apiaceae). It is reported to be poisonous to some mammals and can be easily confused with its more toxic cousins such as hemlock/hogweed, so care should be taken when identifying A. sylvestris.
A. sylvestris can grow up to 0.6 metres in height and is hardy to zone 7 (UK). Flowering between April to June, producing self fertile, hermaphrodite flowers which are pollinated by bees.
Wildlife & Eco Gardens can not take any responsibility for the ingestion, use or any adverse reactions from the use of plants. Always seek professional advice before using a plant medicinally.
- Leaves can be eaten either raw or cooked
- Historically A. sylvestris has been used as a general weakness tonic by soaking the roots for several days in rice washings before being cooked.
- Leaves and stems can make a short lived green dye.